Sunday, September 25, 2005

The United States has "lost control" of its budget deficit

Greenspan to French Finance Minister: US lost deficit control
Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 PM ET

By Paul Carrel

WASHINGTON, Sept 24 (Reuters) - U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan told France's Finance Minister Thierry Breton the United States has "lost control" of its budget deficit, the French minister said on Saturday.

"'We have lost control,' that was his expression," Breton told reporters after a bilateral meeting with Greenspan.
"The United States has lost control of their budget at a time when racking up deficits has been authorized without any control (fromCongress)," Breton said.

"We were both disappointed that the management of debt is not apolitical priority today," he added.
Ministers from the Group of Seven rich nations on Friday called for vigorous action around the world to curb rising imbalances in international trade and investment accounts.

A decrease in the U.S. budget deficit were cited by the G7 as one wayto ease those imbalances. U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow said the U.S. administration was still committed to halving its budget deficitby 2009.

Breton spoke as International Monetary Fund Managing Director Rodrigo Rato said U.S. plans to cut its government expenditures now lookedambitious in the light of huge reconstruction costs to be borne in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Breton said: "The situation that is creating tension today on the currency market ... is clearly the American deficit." The United States needed to address its budget deficit, he said, adding: "It seems to me that my counterpart John Snow is completely aware of this, he wants to harness the problem, but it seems to me he doesn't have the room for maneuver."

Breton added that after hearing Greenspan talk about inflation: "One has the feeling -- though he didn't say so -- that interest rates will probably continue to rise....

Read the entire article at Reuters: http://tinyurl.com/a8mxe

9 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train. So many sites I visited today, while looking for free forex strategies pages to post to my blog, were full of garbage. It was nice to find something real at your site. Well, I better go look for some more free forex strategies pages for my own readers. Thanks.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, Today I took some time to look for free forex strategies related pages. I have a site related to free forex strategies and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for free forex trading ebooks related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for free forex trading ebooks related ideas today. Thanks.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just read your last entry. I have a ##LINK# site for beginners. It’s really just an introduction at the moment. I am thinking of starting a forex forum. For beginners and experts alike – would be nice to provide expert support to beginners. What do you think?

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, I was searching online for some free forex ebooks related sites and a I came across your post. I normally don't take the time to look at blogs but today I made an exception. After searching for about an hour for free forex ebooks it is nice to find a post that is helpful. Thanks.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for free forex strategies related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for free forex strategies related ideas today. Thanks.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, Today I took some time to look for forex ebooks related pages. I have a site related to forex ebooks and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, Today I took some time to look for free forex strategies related pages. I have a site related to free forex strategies and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin Train, Today I took some time to look for forex ebooks related pages. I have a site related to forex ebooks and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home